1. Professional Registration of Mechanical Engineers/ Graduates/students in the Federation
2. Professional Training & Manpower Development of Mechanical Engineers/ Graduates/ Students & Allied Disciplines, equipping them with relevant skills required for the practice especially in this current era of LOCAL CONTENT DEVELOPMENT in Nigeria.
3. Advancement of the cause of the Nigerian Mechanical Engineering Practitioners
4. Unification of Registered and Practicing Mechanical Engineers, Graduates, Students & Allied Disciplines in the Federation
5. Educating/ Mentoring the general populace on the need to employ professionals in Mechanical Engineering projects, however small the undertaking may be.
Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of the Institution are as follows: –
- To promote the aims and objectives of The Nigerian Society of Engineers as they apply to the field of Mechanical Engineering through the continuing education and training of members of the Institution so as to update their knowledge and skill in the art, science, practice and management of mechanical engineering and allied discipline.
- To provide opportunities for interaction amongst members of the Institution and between them and others in the field of mechanical engineering and allied discipline through provision of facilities for reading and discussing technical papers, through arrangement and or promotion of visits to industrial establishments and other places of mechanical engineering interest and through lectures and publication of technical journals on mechanical engineering.
- To promote the development of the art, science, and management of mechanical engineering through active encouragement of research and development and establishment of research and development priorities, emphasizing the use of locally available materials to serve local situations and challenges and enhance the nation’s domestic and export potential.
- To promote opportunity for interaction between the Institution and the Governments of the Federation and their parastatals with a view to influencing policies relating to mechanical engineering, industry and technology.
- To promote and propagate the interest of mechanical Engineering Practitioners and provide advisory service to members of the Institution.
1.6 To provide advisory and consultancy services for Government of the federation and industry in the field of mechanical engineering and allied discipline.
- To encourage cooperation with other institutions or divisions of The Nigerian Society of Engineers and other similar professional organizations and with universities and other institutions in the field of mechanical engineering and technology within and outside Nigeria.
- To carry out any activities as may be consistent with the above objectives.
The qualifications for membership of the Institution are as prescribed by Council in conformity with NSE guidelines and accreditation requirements of Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN). There are six (6) cadres of membership – Fellow, Corporate Member, Associate Member, Graduate Member, Student Member and Honorary Fellow.
The highest policy making body of the Institution is the Council which comprises of elected National Executive Committee members, Chapter Chairmen, selected two representatives of other Engineering organizations and tertiary institutions, two coopted corporate members, and Former National Chairmen. The National Chairman is the Chairman of Council.
The Committee system is used to carry out most of the activities of the Institution with coordination by the National Secretariat at No. 10, Damaturu Close, Opp. H-Medix by Domino’s Pizza, 3rd Avenue, Gwarinpa, FCT, Abuja. A full time Executive Secretary heads the Secretariat as the Chief Executive Officer of the Institution, the Accountant heads the Accounting Department of the Institution while the Admin Officer head the general Administration.
The Institution is organized into Chapters which are based in various cities around the country.
Board of Trustees
The Trustees is the custodian of the assets and objects of the Institution. It ensures that the assets of the Institution are judiciously and economically applied to achieve the objectives of the Institution
Body of Fellows
The Body of Fellows was established as a Think Tank for the Institution. It is responsible for getting the Fellows of the Institution together to direct and guide the operations of the Institution. It is to assist Council in formulating policies for sustainable development and practice of the Mechanical Engineering profession in Nigeria.
Board of Fellows
The Board of Fellows is charged with the responsibility of screening corporate members for Council approval for admission into the Fellowship cadre. The membership of the Board consists of senior Fellows of the Institution.
Finance and General-purpose Board
The Deputy National Chairman chairs the financial and general purpose board.
The Institutions activities are carried out by Committees. The National Council shall form the following Boards and Committees and shall be chaired as specified:
• Board of Trustees – Former National Chairman
• Board of Fellows – Senior Fellows (15yrs and Above)
• Group Dynamics Board – Former National Chairman
• Electoral Board – Former National Chairman
• Finance & General Purpose Board – Deputy National Chairman
• Editorial & Technical Board – Elected Officer
• Mechanical Engineering Distinguished Lecture Board – Former National Chairman
• Membership Board – Elected Officer
o Welfare Committee
o National Student Forum – Senior Fellows
• Corporate Resources & Media Board – Elected Officer
o Programmes & Publicity Committee
• Professional Development Board – Elected Officer
o Codes & Standards Committee – Vice National Chairman
o Education & Training Committee
• Awards & Endowment Committee – Senior Fellow
• Industrial & Job Bureau Committee
• Prevention, Investigation & Failure Analysis Committee – Vice National Chairman
• Appointment & Promotions Committee – Senior Fellows
• Investment & Properties Committee – Vice National Chairman
• Audit Committee – Elected Annually at AGM
As needs arise, Ad-hoc Committees may be created by Council to carry out specific tasks. The National Executive Committee headed by the National Chairman oversees the activities of Council Committees in addition to the specific portfolios of each member of the National EXCO.