By Isqil Najim
The pathway towards making NIMechE a vibrant institution was paved, yet again, as the institution under the National Chairman Engr.Mrs. Funmilade Akingbagbohun is set to Partner with Federal University of Technology, Akure in establishing standard Welding Academy in Ondo State.
This was a part of the outcome of courtesy Visit of the National Chairman to the University on Thursday 3rd March, 2022.
During the meeting with the Vice Chancellor, Prof Joseph Fuwape and the University management, the National Chairman observed that the need to close the skill gap in fabrication industry necessitates the drive to establish the academy. She pointed out that the choice of the university stem from their reputation as serious player in human capital development.
The Vice Chancellor thanked the Nigerian Institution of Mechanical Engineers for the visit and for choosing FUTA. He said that FUTA is one of the schools running programmes to support the COREN Outcome Based Education OBE. He welcomed the partnership idea, saying the university also envisioned similar initiative.
The highlight of the meeting were as follows:
1. A parcel of Land was approved for the building of the welding academy which would cater for both underwater and surface welding.
2. Accreditation for a welding certification for the professional development training is to be pursued to ensure standardization.
3. Partnership with the Institution to graduate members from the academy is assured
4. FUTA is ready to assist with the preliminary works for the successful implementation of the project.
5. The donor, Engr.Mike Adeyanju expressed his profound gratitude towards FUTA and NIMechE for this laudable project and bridging of the skills gap in the welding space to boost local content . He promised to start immediately when all necessary preparations have been concluded.
5. The NIMechE Akure chapter chairman, Engr Femi Oyegunwa MNIMechE and his executive members also promised to work with the school, the donor and his contractor to ensure that we have a good structure built according to professional specification.
6. HRH Prof Adebisi Akinola, a professor of Machine Design and Welding was chosen as the project manager.
At the meeting were: National Chairman Engr Funmilade Akingbagbohun, Vice Chancellor FUTA, Prof Fuwape, Dean of Engineering, Past National Chairman, Engr Akintunde Zedomi. Engr Femi Oyegunwa, Chairman Akure Chapter
Others are Engr Prof Christy Ijagbemi, Prof Anjorin, Head, Mechanical Engineering, FUTA, and host of others from NIMechE Akure.