The NIMechE Conference Lead paper Presenter
Engr. Dr. Spencer Ojogba Onuh is an innovative mechanical engineer with vast wealth of career experience in the academic, industry and public service. For over two decades, he has commendably deployed his expertise in developing the spirit of innovation and the intellectual depth of the next generation of engineers in several universities around the world, notably: University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom, University of Wales College, United Kingdom, and University of Portsmouth, United Kingdom where he was an Associate Professor and Assistant Director at the Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering (Regional Centre for Manufacturing , RCMI). He was a member of the National Infrastructure Committee United Kingdom in 2004. Engr. Dr. Onuh is an internationally known figure in manufacturing engineering, having taught in three continents with over sixty (60) publications to his name.
In 1985, Engr. Dr. Onuh obtained B.ENG (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Ilorin. Thereafter, he obtained a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering (Manufacturing Subsystems and Design Options) in 1988. He subsequently obtained his PhD at the Prestigious University of Liverpool, United Kingdom, where he developed two high precision hatch patterns for rapid manufacturing (now known as 3D Printing). He was the first PhD graduate in Rapid manufacturing in the UK in 1996. His passion for knowledge acquisition, generation and transmission spurred him to pursue further studies at the University of Portsmouth where he obtained Post Graduate Certificate and Masters in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
As a glowing tribute to his scholarly ingenuity, Engr. Dr. Onuh was a Commonwealth scholar. He also received so many awards, scholarships and honours within and outside Nigeria. Worthy of note are:
• Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa), University of Uyo (2009)
• Guest Editor – Special Issue, International Journal of Agile Systems and Management (2006 -2007)
• Invited Speaker – Institute of Engineering Technology (2004)
• Keynote Speaker – Conference on Manufacturing and Innovation, University of Uyo, Nigeria (2003)
• Visiting Professor in Manufacturing, Dr. Paul Raj College of Engineering, India (2003 – Date)
• Visiting Professor in Manufacturing, University of Uyo (2002 – Date)
• The Association of Common Wealth Scholarship (1992 – 1996)
• Best student, Manufacturing Engineering (1985)
Engr. Dr. Onuh has successfully supervised a number of PhD students to completion and over one hundred and twenty – six students at undergraduate and post graduate levels. He is also an external examiner for Masters Programs in a number of universities. He has examined a number of PhD students as external examiner. Many reputable professional bodies have richly benefited from Engr. Spencer Onuh’s organizational skills and industrial experiences as he is often invited as guest speaker to their conferences.
He is a member of many professional bodies, among which are:
• Fellow, Higher Education Academy, United Kingdom
• Fellow Institute of Electrical ~Technology United Kingdom
• Fellow, Astronomical Society of Nigeria
• Chartered Engineers, United Kingdom
• Member of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE)
• Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria (COREN)
• National Chairman, Institution of Space Engineers
Engr. Dr. Spencer Ojogba Onuh is the current Director / Chief Executive Officer of the Centre for Satellite Technology Development (CSTD) Abuja. As the Director/CEO of CSTD, one of the leading figures of the Nigeria Space program. Dr. Onuh recently completed his Sabbatical Leave as an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maiduguri, Borno State.
Engr. Dr. Onuh is married and blessed with three children